[Inpycon] Setting up the web site for Pycon 2010 {was Website Setup}

kausikram krishnasayee kausikram at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 08:12:25 CEST 2010

> The usual way to do this is to make a fork of his repo (there's a
> button on the page to do this is you've made an account and logged
> in). Then you clone from your fork and go about developing it.
> Finally, you ask Kenneth to pull from your repo.

 A few things:
while people start showing some CSS love to FossConf i would also request
you to show some django love

FossConf is currently a single app having around 26 models and innumerable
views:
a few things that can be done that can really (REALLY) help maintain it
would be

* remove the volunteer, delegate models etc, and start using
django.cotrib.auth.models.User instead
if you want to add some more content that User does not handle then please
extend User (django models is extendable)

* There are currently models for City, State, Nations etc. try to remove
them. if needed try to use django.contrib.localflavours.in. (DRY!)

* Break down the current app into various apps. some models are event
specific, some models are venue specific, some models are logistic specific.
it would really be good to break it down. easier to maintain.

* Try to make the views RESTful so that the frontend can be decoupled and
some nice UI developer can show it some of his grace while we can hack
around the backend to our hearts content.

i would have really loved to pitch in, but sadly i am held up with work and
do not want to commit myself and not deliver. the above points were the
first thing that came into my mind when i saw the code. ofcourse
implementing it / not is a choice that you guys can take.

--
Kausikram Krishnasayee
Company: http://silverstripesoftware.com | Webpage: kausikram.net | Blog: