[Inpycon] Sponsorships

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 11:07:24 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Lakshman Prasad <scorpion032 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I think, Zynga would be a prospective sponsor too.
>
> I can try to open a channel with Zynga. I know a few people there but
> I'm not sure how much they'd be interested in a Python conference.
> AFAIK, they're a PHP shop. No harm trying though.
>
> > I know some decision makers at Google Bangalore.
>
> Excellent. The big G is one of the people who can really help. I would
> recommend that you talk to your contact to get info about decision
> makers in the US and interface with them. Like Kausik suggested, most
> of this is peanuts to them and gold nuggets to us.
>
> > I can contact both of them for sponsorships.[..]
>
> Please do.
>

> As a general point, since we don't have the dates and other details
> finalised yet. It would be best to keep the tone like "We are working
> on it and things are moving. We should have the dates/venue finalised
> soon. We'd love to have your support for the conf." rather than a
> concrete proposal.
>
> Comments?

 What is the sponsorship amount you are looking at ? And why ?
 Can we discuss how we are planning to split the sponsorship
 amount for expenses ? For egs. if we say 5L then how much for
 the venue, how much others etc ?

 Regarding Zynga, I have my reservations about approaching them.
 First of all they are a controversial company who have had their
 own problems with the so-called "social games" that are
 a facade to social networking scams (with or without their knowledge,
 doesn't matter). Secondly I know it as a fact they don't use Python
 there since I have a couple of friends there, so why bother ?

 We should definitely try and approach the publishers however.
 Preferably those like O'Reilly and Packt who are working on
 Python books and have helped to popularize the language.

 Google - I am not so sure. When google takes part in an event,
 they like to leave their stamp in it, so either the event has to
 change for them or they won't pitch in IMHO. You cannot expect
 Google to be a silver sponsor when company XYZ is a
 diamond sponsor - they don't do that AFAIK.

> --
> ~noufal
> http://nibrahim.net.in

--Anand