[Inpycon] Website setup

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 08:33:38 CEST 2010

2010/4/22 Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com>:
> Since a lot of people have offered to develop, host and handle the
> site using FOSSconf, please coordinate and get the setup completely
> working by Saturday evening. Once it's up on a server, mail the
> details to Anand C and he'll make it live. If it's not completely up
> by Saturday evening, we'll go the other way and not look back. It will
> take lesser time to do the wiki plus doattend thing  so the timelines
> are reasonable. By Monday, the site should be up.

Sorry for joining late, but I oppose the use of FossConf software for
the website.

Reasons:

* It is important for a conference website to be archived forever and
FossConf doesn't consider that at all. I've scrapped the site and
setup static html pages for archiving it. http://in.pycon.org/2009/ is
the archived html pages.
* One feature that wikis don't provide and FossConf provides is
scheduling of talks. We spent enormous amount of time to schedule the
talks using that software. Using pen and paper and generating the
schedule HTML page might have saved us lot of time.
* User registration is unnecessarily complex. I think it is 3 step
registration process with with weird LastName/FirstName sort orders
which Kenneth refused to fix.
* Doesn't give control on the URLs in the website. I would like to
have http://in.pycon.org/2009/site_howto instead of
http://in.pycon.org/2009/base/Site%20Howto/.
* Changing style of the site requires the site admin to upload a new
css files. Which is too lengthy process.

Here is what I propose:

* I'll setup an Infogami wiki. It alllows editing pages, styles and
the site layout directly from the website.

Is there anything more that is required?

Anand