[Inpycon] Benefits of Membership

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 22:57:08 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:13 PM, kausikram krishnasayee
<kausikram at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Where is this leading? Are we trying to create a bureaucratic
>> structure over the society?
>> Why don't we just stick to the initial plan that the society is only
>> for managing funds for conference and concentrate the focus on next
>> conference?
>
> i think all these discussions are leading to one basic thing. trying to
> decouple the fund raising mechanism from the conference. today we are
> completely dependent on sponsors for all our needs. if the decoupling is
> done successfully, as kenneth put it, it would be easier to run the
> conference from the corpus. again , i do not suggest that we hoard money.
> if we could brainstorm a way by which we can decouple raising funds from
> running the event then it will make life easier for all of us. [..]

Divorcing the fund raising from conducting the conference is a good
thing but I think it's important to invite/involve coporates at every
conference. Commercial entities are part of the community and
shouldn't be excluded. I don't think much of a conf. that's got
absolutely no corporate involvement. I want the conf. to be a place
where Pythonistas can meet potential employers.

--
~noufal