[Inpycon] Registering society (Was: Re: FOSS PyCon)

vid vid at svaksha.com
Wed Oct 14 09:35:32 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:58, Anand Balachandran Pillai
<abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org>
> wrote:
>> not so - you can do practically anything with a section 25 co. The problem
>> with trusts is that one needs trustees - and trustees have too much power.
>> Very often absolute power and are very difficult to unseat. Societies have
>> some
>> mandated annual elections and a lot of transparency. As long as the bye
>> laws
>> are framed carefully, hostile takeovers or people clinging to power are
>> rare.
>
>  I would prefer a setup where the board members are elected once every
>  two years without anyone holding absolute authority. Looks like this is not
>  possible with a trust setup.

Society and Sec25 are the only two options which can aid in preventing
a takeover by a cabal. However, this depends on how the MoA is framed.
Legalese, is such that there are always loopholes and its almost
impossible to have a water-tight case. The easiest is to reduce the
probability of a problem in future.

--
|| vid | http://vid.svaksha.com ||