[Inpycon] FOSS PyCon (was Re: Post Conference analysis about the performance and future plan)

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 08:00:37 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org>
> wrote:
> [..]
> > and anyway I do not think Pycon people will agree to either ban non-foss
> or
> > mix this conference with others.
>
> I certainly wouldn't but I can see where the OP is coming from. The
> intersection of Python and FOSS while big is probably not enough for
> an entire conference. A track at something else might be a better
> idea.

 FOSS is an abused and overused word in India, for conferences.
 Some of the more prominent "FOSS" conferences have typically
 little to do with contributing back to the foss community, when
 compared to the mileage extracted by the organizers out of it,
 if you see where I am coming from.

> > Since we are now an established brand name, a
> > lot of people (who otherwise would not dream of volunteering to work for
> the
> > conference) will want to cash in on it.
>
> Oh come on. We're not *that* established yet and I welcome help and
> suggestions from everyone. I wouldn't write off a different opinion as
> an attempt to ride the wave and cash in on the conf.

 I think the brand equity right now is in the "PyCon" not in "PyCon India".
PyCon
 India gets its halo from PyCon. One more successful session would give
PyCon
 India it own brand value.

 There is some truth in Kenneth's argument which explains why we are
 seeing hailstorm much after the rain is over. Typically it is the other way
around ;-)

> [..]
>

> --
> ~noufal