[Inpycon] FOSS PyCon (was Re: Post Conference analysis about the performance and future plan)

Vivek Khurana hiddenharmony at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 05:46:08 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> If there are sufficient people who want a pure FOSS PyCon, I think you
> should go for it.
> I myself incline towards FOSS but I wouldn't enforce a FOSS only
> clause at a PyCon that I was involved in organising. Also, if this is
> to be *the* official PyCon India 2010, I wouldn't be in support of the
> idea myself.
>
> One thing that I can foresee is difficultly in arranging sponsors.
> You'd have to consider other sources of funding.

I think connecting the conference to another event will dilute the
significance of PyCon. What I read from reports is that we had a good
turnout and we did get a notice Internationally. So a logic move will
be to take things to next level from here.

Python is itself FOSS and so are the batteries. But python license
itself allows python to be used in closed source environment. So I
think we need to define the scope of the event here. What I notice
from going through the talks of other Pycon that most talks are
focused on either development related to python core or use cases of
python in industry. We can restrict the talks to the two options
mentioned at the same time ensuring that no sales pitch takes place
during the event.

 One more suggestion, try not to host PyCon close to a festival. :)

regards
Vivek