[Inpycon] Website evaluation

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Fri May 29 11:22:38 CEST 2009

>> * Asking for first name and last name, assuming the first name is
>> initial and displaying it as LastName FirstName are very confusing.
>> Why not just ask for fullname and display it as the use enters it.
>
> We are sorting on lastname - seems to be a convention, so would like it
> separate. Firstname is not compulsory. Anyway, it is no big deal. If enough
> people want it changed it can be done.

That probably makes sense if there is a standard convention in writing
first name and last name.
Esp. in India, first name and last name issue is big chaos.
I suggest asking people for their full name instead of asking first
name and last name.

>> * issues with 3-step registration
>>
>> 1. step1 asks for username and email and asks the user to fill the
>> details later.
>> 2. step2 requires the user to click on the confirmation mail and enter
>> username (why again?) and pick password.
>> 3. and then step 3 asks the user to enter first name and last name.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better if fullname of the user and password are asked
>> in the step 1 and step 2 just says, "your registation is confirmed"?
>
> this is done to confuse the forces of evil (spammers). It is either this way
> or using captchas - I hate captchas because my eyesight is not too good and I
> always enter them wrong. MoinMoin uses the scheme you are suggesting, but a
> lot of chinese spam gets through that. So this is a wontfix

It makes user registration so painful. There has to be a better way of
registering.

>> adding task crashes when no slides are attached.
>
> that is fixed

Thanks.

>> # questions?
>>
>> * Is early-bird registration is same as user registration?
>
> we record the date that the user registers and the date when she fills in her
> profile and becomes a delegate. So those who register before the cut off date
> are early birds. They just need to take a printout of their profile and present
> it for a discount. Or just mention their name at the counter and we can check.

Can't conference registration be different from registration on the website?
A conference participant shouldn't have to create a user account on a
website and remember a password. Why can't we simply do this:

* User enters his name, organization/institution and email in a form.
* Server saves these details in the db and sends an email with confirmation.
* When user comes to the conference, he tells that he did early bird
registration and pays the fee.

The page containing all the registered users can be displayed in a
protected page only visible to the admins.
Does it makes sense?

Anand