[Inpycon] Marketing and Promotion

Ramdas S ramdaz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 17:37:54 CEST 2009

Dear all,

Due to some personal and professional constraints I've not been able to
contribute much to the build-up to the conference.

We had discussed the strategies for marketing and promoting this event some
2-3 months back, and I could not find much either in press or in
blogosphere.

With just 40 days to go, its time we pulled up the socks and create bit of
brouhaha as far as the conference is concerned.

As a first step, I am suggesting that we send a press release to all
newspapers in Bangalore ( and all IT magazines and portals in India). There
are a few places I'll be able to put in a word myself, and I'll do that.
However in case any of your know any journalists, do try influencing your
friends from the press. Ideally we should get this done through a PR agency,
but we may not be able to afford one this time around.

Please find a draft of a simple press release which we can tweak around.

And bloggers, please do write about the conference (if possible multiple
entries) so that some of the visitors to your blog might take interest in
the conference.

In case any of are hosting code at github.com, sourceforge.net, code.google
etc. See whether a link can be put up on the home page of these projects.

If you can post it in your company intranet, notice board, that'll also be
great and also at other places. Especially if we can have this done at the
big software service houses, Wipros, Infys, TCS, Accentures, IBMs etc.There
are many hidden Pythonistas at these places.

I am sending email requests to several of my friends who are not Python
developers or users, but is involved with Linux, open soure or software
development in general. Please consider spending 15 minutes and see whom all
you can touch base with.

Please find a press release draft. Noufal in case you have an official pycon
id do suggest that, and advise whether you are OK with putting your
telephone numbers. There is little chance that you may actually get calls.
But if some journalist actually wants to find out more, we need to have a
person taking a call. Do advise.

Note: I am looking at suggestions improvements on the Press Release. Please
come back before 2 PM tomorrow; I am looking at sending it out to some of my
friends tomorrow afternoon, so that this can appear at the earliest.

   *Pycon comes to India*

The Indian leg of Pycon—an international conference held across the globe by
Python programming language developers, Pycon India 2009 would be held at
Indian Institute of Science Bangalore, India, between Saturday, 26th
September 2009 and Sunday, 27th September 2009.

Pycon conferences are completely self-managed by the community of Python
developers and are held in 11 countries across five continents.

Pycon India 2009 will have interactive tutorials, talks and workshops by
experienced Python developers from India and abroad. Without doubt this will
an exciting opportunity for all developers looking at productivity, to come,
learn and share their knowledge of Python and meet and interact with the
brightest Python developers in the India.

Python is a dynamic object-oriented programming language that can be used
for many kinds of software development. It offers strong support for
integration with other languages and tools, comes with extensive standard
libraries, and can be learned in a few days. Many Python programmers report
substantial productivity gains and feel the language encourages the
development of higher quality, more maintainable code.

Python is distributed under an OSI-approved open source license that makes
it free to use, even for commercial products.

There is an estimated half a million software developers using the Python
programming language. Python language is used by development teams at some
of the large IT and technology companies including Google, NASA, HP,
Microsoft among others.

For more details on Pycon visit http:// in.pycon.org. To know more about
Python programming language visit http://python.org

For further clarifications, queries do contact Noufal Ibrahim at
noufal at gmail.com