[Import-SIG] PEP 489: Redesigning extension module loading; version 4

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed May 13 18:04:24 CEST 2015

On 14 May 2015 at 00:31, Petr Viktorin <encukou at gmail.com> wrote:
> Or, I could keep the "PyInit_*" hook name, and allow it to return
> PyModuleDef instead of a module. This is obviously a hack, and would
> force me to get back down to the drawing board, but considering the
> options it seems best to explore this option.
> (PyInit_* and PyModuleExport_* signatures are technically compatible,
> since a PyModuleDef is a PyObject)
>
> I'd welcome your thoughts.

Would it be feasible to go with a model where _PyImport_inittab
continues to be based on the legacy extension module initialisation
system for the time being? That would mean implementing PyInit_* would
remain required rather than optional for 3.5, but lots of folks are
going to want to provide it anyway for compatibility with 3.4 and
earlier.

Cheers,
Nick.