[Import-SIG] Rough PEP: A ModuleSpec Type for the Import System

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Aug 9 20:23:39 CEST 2013

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com>wrote:

> Would it be worth deprecating the current signature and attributes of
> FileLoader, NamespaceLoader, etc.  FileLoader.get_filename() uses
> self.path, but otherwise the only use for the attributes is already covered
> by the info in the spec.

Probably, or at least provide a Spec-only signature of the __init__().

> Also, should we have timelines for the deprecations in the PEP.  I'm
> inclined to not worry about it, but it *would* be nice to remove at least
> some of the backward compatibility hackery that this PEP will introduce.

Since the backwards-compatibility hacks don't sound like they will be
ridiculously complex or getting in the way I say just put in proper
PendingDeprecationWarnings and assume they will be there until Python 4 (no
later than 8 years away! =).