[Import-SIG] PEP 420: Implicit Namespace Packages

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri May 4 16:51:49 CEST 2012

On May 04, 2012, at 02:11 AM, martin at v.loewis.de wrote:

>I think it predates PEP 302 by a decade or so. You might also ask why
>the keyword is "def", and not "define" (other than that the Grammar says
>so). It's a natural thing, also: If the module comes from the file system,
>it has an __file__ attribute, else it's built-in.

Sure, that makes sense in a 2002 world where we didn't have importlib and all
the modernization of the import system.  Today, it's not only antiquated, it's
also not necessarily true.  We're already significantly overhauling the import
machinery, so I think it's entirely reasonable to relax this constraint.

See my previous post for a proposal.

-Barry