[Import-SIG] Import engine PEP up on python.org

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 06:12:31 CET 2011

I finally got around to updating the import engine draft PEP and
publishing it on python.org: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0406/

I think this is a direction we want to move eventually, but I'm not in
any great hurry (in particular, I don't believe any effort should be
expended on an import.c based version, so bootstrapping importlib as
the standard import mechanism is a blocking dependency*). If it
doesn't make 3.3 (and there's a fair chance it won't, since I have a
few other things to work on that I think will benefit more people in
the near term), then 3.4 isn't that far away.

*Brett: do you have a public Hg repo for working on the importlib
bootstrapping effort?

Cheers,
Nick.