[Import-SIG] New draft revision for PEP 382

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 10:00:18 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 7:52 AM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some separate comments on this draft that I'll have to
> postpone.  In the meantime I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. Should this PEP wait until importlib.__import__ replaces the
> builtin __import__?  That will have bearing on where the
> implementation takes place.  I'm not sure of the status of that
> effort, other than what Brett has reported in the tracker issue
> (http://bugs.python.org/issue2377), nor of the timeframe.

Up to the people implementing it. They can either do the work twice
(once for import.c and once for importlib) in the knowledge that the
intent is to nuke (most of) import.c before 3.3 is released or else
they can just do the importlib implementation and make issue 2377 a
dependency of the PEP 382 support becoming available in the default
interpreter.

The only approach I would actively oppose is checking in a PEP 382
implementation that *didn't* include the necessary importlib updates.

> 2. Should it wait for the work on the import engine (a GSOC project).
> It sounds like a PEP is in the works right now.  It may also impact
> the implementation of this PEP.

PEP 382 is much further along (and more significant from a practical
point of view) than the import engine work, so it shouldn't be delayed
for the latter. If PEP 382 goes in first the appropriate changes to
the engine code to account for sys.namespace_packages and the importer
protocol changes can be adopted from the importlib modifications.

Cheers,
Nick.