[Import-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] Proposal for a modified import mechanism.

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 10:52:19 -0500

Prabhu wrote:

>     GMcM> [Prabhu works on knee.py]
>
>     >> it also fixes a bug where the parent package is an
>     extension >> module.
>
>     GMcM> Python provides no support for an extension module
>     being a GMcM> package parent module. More precisely, I think
>     the fact that GMcM> an extension module can be made to behave
>     like a package GMcM> parent module is an accident.

[snip]

> I guess this was unclear.  My addition is extremely simple and
> does not do anything new.  Here is an illustration

And I wasn't clear. I wasn't complaining about your
implementation. I was complaining that the rules of import are
ill-specified. There are many import hacks in use today that
rely on undocumented features, some of which are accidental.

When package support was introduced, no one knew how
packages would end up being used. I would hate to see
Python stuck supporting some of this crap under the guise of
"backwards compatibility".

- Gordon