[Image-SIG] QUERY: metric for the 'quality' of aligning an image

Crabb, David david.crabb at ntu.ac.uk
Mon Oct 18 12:44:24 CEST 2004

Dear all,

I hope someone might be able to help with what might be a *very* simple
question.

We have some clinical images (normally a sequence of 3) that we are
trying to 'align'. We would hope that these grey scale images (256 by
256) are identical and we are trying to come up with a way of
quantifying the 'agreement'. We have been simply using the mean standard
deviation of the pixel heights (MSDPH). Could someone provide me with a
reference for alternative similarity metrics? In particular some images
have more features (edges) than others, so my intuition tells me we need
to correct for this in out metric, hence the unsuitability of MSDPH).

Thanks for your patience!

Dr. David Crabb
School of Science,
The Nottingham Trent University,
Clifton Campus, Nottingham. NG11 8NS
Tel: 0115 848 3275   Fax: 0115 848 6690

DISCLAIMER:
This email is intended solely for the addressee.  It may contain private and confidential information.  If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone.  In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the error.  Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University.
Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free.  This is in keeping with good computing practice.