[Image-SIG] PIL 1.0 as a package

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:11:34 +0200

Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake@acm.org> wrote:
>   The instructions in the 1.0 source release describe an installation
> which is *almost* a package style installation, with the caveat that
> it remains accessible without the package-style import due to the
> PIL.pth file.

well, as I read that text, it describes two *different*
ways to install PIL.  the package support was mostly
added to help the Zopers...

>   When linking the Tk interface code into _imaging.so (which I think
> is a bad idea still)

in 1.0, you can link the Tk interface code into _tkinter.so
or _imaging.so.  in 1.0.1 (out soon), you can link it either
into _tkinter.so, or into _imagingtk.so.  it has to be some-
where, you know...

(maybe TEA will make this even easier, but we're not
there yet...)

> the X11 library also needs to be linked in (and must be
> dynamically linked so there's only one copy, shared with
> _tkinter); that's not done in the Setup.in as distributed.

last minute fix; we tested this with 8.1, and had no trouble
linking it (8.1 is built as a shared library by default).  before
shipping, I changed that to 8.0 and didn't test it on a clean
machine (8.0 is not built as a shared library by default...)

this has been fixed in 1.0.1.

</F>