[Idle-dev] Why does IDLE use a subprocess?

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 02:18:46 EDT 2023

On Sun, Jun 4, 2023 at 4:41 AM James Schaffler <jschaffler at proton.me> wrote:

> However, I would be interested to see in what additional "interesting and unexpected ways" one could break IDLE.

You're welcome to try it yourself! Run IDLE without a subprocess by
passing the "-n" flag (e.g. python -m idlelib -n), then in the shell
do things that affect the entire process in various ways.

Some interesting examples: run a tight loop, run some long-running
code that runs compiled code rather than Python code, change global
state such as sys.stdout and sys.stderr, and on and on. Have fun
breaking IDLE!

- Tal