[Idle-dev] Add position/selected label to status bar?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri May 20 22:47:22 EDT 2022

Question from
https://github.com/python/cpython/issues/92822
https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/92823

Notepad++ for instance has Ln:, Col:, and Pos: fields on its status bar.
  While there is a selection, Pos: is replaced with Sel:.  IDLE
currently has only Ln: and Col:.  Are either of Pos: or Sel: useful
enough to add?

Pos: could be used to estimate words in a text (position at end / 5) or
to find file.seek() position.  Sel: would flag the existence of a
selection not in the visible window.

If we add something, what format?  N++ has labels like '5|1' for 5 chars
on 1 line.  The don't like 1 after chars much, nor see lines as useful.
The patch proposes '5 selected'.  I think I prefer 'Sel: 5', certainly
if we add 'Pos:' also.

Other comments?