[Idle-dev] Big change to IDLE Shell

André Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Thu May 6 12:29:31 EDT 2021

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 3:52 AM Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> 3.10.0b1 is due to be released next Monday.  The big change for IDLE is
> in the Shell.  The first line of entered statement will line up with
> continuation lines and indents will be spaces instead of tabs.  The
> '>>>' prompt will be either above on a line by itself or to the left in
> a Shell sidebar.

This is just a quick report after a brief test. I just **love** the way the
prompt is now shown. I am convinced that beginners will be much less
confused with understanding indentation when using IDLE.

I also did a quick test with friendly (formally known as
friendly-traceback) and can happily report that support for custom
excepthook appears to have been unaffected by the latest changes.

I will do more testing in the near future (and likely do a brief demo
during a presentation at the upcoming PyCon Education Summit). I do not
plan to report further on this list unless I find problems.

Thank you all for the work done to constantly improve IDLE.

André Roberge