[Idle-dev] shortcuts 4 file menu don't work

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jan 22 01:44:01 EST 2021

On 1/21/2021 11:17 AM, Mats Wichmann wrote:
> Same here with Fedora and Linux Mint using Cinnamon.  But those have to
> be let through by the wm - that is, Plasma is probably the first place
> to look.
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 1:17 AM Tal Einat <taleinat at gmail.com
> <mailto:taleinat at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     The shortcuts work as expected for me with Python 3.8 and 3.9
>     (installed via apt) on Ubuntu 20.04 with the default window manager.
>
>     On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 6:59 AM Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu
>     <mailto:tjreedy at udel.edu>> wrote:
>
>         On 1/20/2021 5:18 AM, bhermannegro at bhermann.space
>         <mailto:bhermannegro at bhermann.space> wrote:
>          > Hello all !
>          >
>          > sorry to send this, but i didn't find anything on the web
>         even on google.
>          >
>          > It is about idle-python 3.8 and 3.9 on kubuntu (ubuntu +
>         plasma kde) 20:
>          >
>          > 1) about, shortcuts for open, close files etc.. do not work
>         (CNTR+X or
>          > CNTR+S ... +O and so on)
>          >
>          > 2) with  the mouse, ok, i can do the commands, but the file's
>         names
>          > won't immediately appear (must "onmouseover" the square icons
>         in the
>          > menu to let appears the name's files.)
>
>         I am aware that shortcuts are messed up on Mac.  It would
>         probably help
>         to know if this Linux issue is kubuntu only, ubuntu only, or
>         general linus.

Absent information otherwise, I conclude that this is a 3rd-party issue
between tcl/tk and the kubuntu graphics system.  IDLE calls a tkinter
method to bind a key action to a Python function.  Tkinter wraps the
python callback in a tcl function and asks tcl/tk to bind the key action
to the tcl function.  Getting the key event is between the OS and tcl.

--
Terry Jan Reedy