[Idle-dev] help

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jan 11 13:08:00 EST 2020

On 1/9/2020 9:08 AM, Segundo Recalde wrote:
> I'm having trouble deleting the python IDLE. I managed to delete
> everything but the 'about IDLE 3.8.1 (64 bit)' menu. I'm currently using
> a macbook pro (mac OS Catalina).

I don't know about any 'about IDLE 3.8.1 (64 bit)' menu.  There is an
'about IDLE' item on the IDLE app menu, but you should only see than
menu when running IDLE, which should not be possible anymore.

In any case, this question is off-topic for this list.  idle-dev is for
discussion of future versions of the idlelib package as part of the
CPython stdlib.  IDLE is installed, perhaps optionally along with
tkinter, as part of the installation of pythonx.y, and uninstalled along
with python.

The python installer/uninstaller is a separate topic.  Discussion of its
use belongs, for instance, on python-list.  But you are apparently not
using that.  I will just note that the Windows Python installer can be
run in 'repair' mode, and that if one does so, one might be able to
uncheck "[] include tkinter and IDLE" and have tkinter and IDLE removed.

Anyone who manually fiddles with a program or package installation is
more or less on their own.  Unless an expert mac user replies here, you
would likely do better to ask on the mail.python.org python-list.  If
you do, give details on how you installed python 3.8.1 and what you have
done so far.

Lastly, I note that pythonxy/Lib/idlelib takes up less that 3 megabytes,
especially with .../__pycache__ deleted, so that the space saving is
likely not worth the time expended.

PS: send any response to the list, not my mailbox.
--
Terry Jan Reedy