[Idle-dev] Bug 37177 - Search dialog bug on Mac

Irv Kalb Irv at furrypants.com
Fri Jun 7 13:09:28 EDT 2019

[I'm not sure of the proper protocol here, I hope sending a message this way is OK.]

Hi,

I am writing about the potential fix to the Search Dialog box problem in IDLE that I reported a while back.  I can see that there is a flurry of activity on this bug.  I saw that there was a code change, but since I have never looked at IDLE source code, I really cannot comment on the fix.

However, I did see comments that it might be difficult to reproduce, so I made a short video to clearly demonstrate the bug.  (This is on IDLE/Python 3.6.1 Mac)  You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWDsOEN8qsE <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWDsOEN8qsE>

I did not get a chance to test this out on Windows, but the bug is easily reproducible on a Mac.

If the change is to leave the dialog box in front of the editing window, that would be be fine.  But long term, if it is possible to incorporate a search bar like the one in PyCharm, that would be even better.

Thanks for addressing the issue and I hope this video is helpful.

Irv