[Idle-dev] Turkish language pack

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Oct 14 14:48:15 EDT 2017

On 10/8/2017 3:12 PM, göksel gürsu wrote:
> Hello. I know English a little.
> My question:
> Is it possible IDLE 3.6.3 language Turkish?

You can use non-ascii unicode characters in names, strings, and comments
in Python code.  This remains true when using IDLE.  Any modern system
should be able to display non-ascii Latin1 characters.

> I like Python and make programmes about education. If Python menus,

I presume you mean IDLE's menus.
https://bugs.python.org/file44152/underscores_decimal_only.patch
is a dormant issue about having alternate languages for the menus.  It
is not possible now.

> help files and etc. are Turkish, many persons  want to learn (I know
> about 115 persons in Turkey) Python.

It is now possible to have 'official' translations of the official
Python documents. https://docs.python.org/3/ has a combobox that
defaults to 'English', with 'French' and 'Japanese' as alternate
selections.  Each translation is produced by a small group, and I
believe there are other groups working on other translations.  I believe
the minimal requirement to be included in the dropdown box is a
translation of the initial contents page and of the tutorial.  A
translation of the Library Reference, IDLE chapter, would include a
translation of the menu entries.

--
Terry Jan Reedy