[Idle-dev] Contributing to IDLE

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Sep 22 23:27:14 CEST 2015

On 9/22/2015 1:52 PM, Rohan Ds wrote:
> I am Rohan from India. Currently pursuing Bachelors in Engineering
> (Computer Science). On interaction with a few people on the core
> mentorship mailing list, I have been led to believe that there is some
> code restructuring happening here.

Definitely.

> I request one of you to assign some tasks to me as I'd love to contribute.

Mark Roseman is submitting code faster than I can review it, in addition
to whatever I write.  So the question is, can you do anything that saves
me time (or possible him)?

Do you have development setup, hg+repository clone?
   Ie, can you apply, test, and create new patches?
What OS can you use for Python work?
   Patches sometimes need testing on multiple systems.
Which versions (2 versus 3) of Python do you know?
   In particular, can you produce a 2.x version of a patch?
Do you know unittest well, or are you willing to learn it?
   There are proposed test modules sitting on the tracker for review.
What else can you say that might help me assign a task?

> Rohan Ds

As near as I can tell by searching the user list, you do not have a
tracker account.  Please make one, and sign the contributor agreement.
https://www.python.org/psf/contrib/
https://www.python.org/psf/contrib/contrib-form/

Out of curiosity, what does 'Ds' mean?  Name (short for Das?) or title?

--
Terry Jan Reedy