[Idle-dev] pending changes

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Nov 21 13:50:55 EST 2015

On 11/17/2015 7:20 PM, Mark Roseman wrote:
>> On Nov 16, 2015, at 5:54 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu

>> I am looking at this now.

Committed, along with additional patch for #15347.

[Mark's explanation]
> FYI: documentation on vwait: https://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl/TclCmd/vwait.htm

Thanks.  I think I got the somewhat baroque ping-ponging of execution
control somewhat clear.

>> #15347 also has remove-interacting-debugger.patch, to be applied on
>> top of preceding.  Do you consider this also ready to go?
>
> Yes

Not done yet.  I want to do more testing, including with -n, after my
additional patch.  I want to understand why 'interacting' seems to have
no effect before removing it.

>> Issue15348 has two patches by Roger Serwy.  What relation, if any, is
>> there between your two and his?  Supercede? Address different though
>> seemingly related issues?
>
> Roger’s patches try to work around the bad behaviour caused by the
> (broken) nested mainloop.  Mine actually fix the underlying root cause
> so Roger’s patches are then no longer needed.

I identified one shutdown situation which is not handled properly yet,
and may not have been Roger's patch either.  Gracefully shutting down
the debugger without bad side-effects is not trivial.  But we have
improved several cases.

--
Terry Jan Reedy