[Idle-dev] pending changes

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Nov 16 08:54:26 EST 2015

On 10/27/2015 5:27 AM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 10/26/2015 1:15 AM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> On 10/22/2015 12:25 PM, Mark Roseman wrote:
>>> A few incremental issues still to be reviewed/integrated:
>
> Since pushing 12+ patches for 10 issues in 2 weeks (September/October),
> I have focused on Python/IDLE startup problems.  The changes for Windows
> in 3.5.0 introduced some new ones, some of which affect IDLE.  For
> instance, when IDLE starts from the icon, the usual case, it starts in
> /Windows/system32 instead of the install directory.  Two or three people
> reported problems with this.  These multiple unanticipated new problems
> have made me a bit more cautious.  Making IDLE pretty is not much good
> if people cannot run it.
>
>>> 24455 (fix-mainloop2.patch) fix debugger crash caused by nested main
>>> loops

I am looking at this now.  Review and questions:
Issue 15347 has fix-nested-mainloop.patch, superceded by
Issue 24455, fix-mainloop2.patch.  This has 2 tk calls.
self.root.tk.call('vwait', '::idledebugwait')
self.root.tk.call('set', '::idledebugwait', '1')

My naive guess is that the second is sets a variable to 1 and the first
waits (how long, indefinitely?) until it is set to 1.  Please
verify/explain here or perhaps better on the issue.  I dislike
committing code I don't understand, and that future maintainers might
also have a problem with.  Say something on the issue and I will add a
comment referring to it.

#15347 also has remove-interacting-debugger.patch, to be applied on top
of preceding.  Do you consider this also ready to go?

Issue15348 has two patches by Roger Serwy.  What relation, if any, is
there between your two and his?  Supercede? Address different though
seemingly related issues?

>>> 25313 (missingtheme.patch) isolate code to default to ‘idle classic’ on
>>> missing theme in one place
>
> I am nearly done with my alternative patch.  That is about next on my
> agenda.

Done

>>> 24750 (mainwin3.patch) correct visual inconsistencies in editor window
>>> (most jarring and noticeable on mac

Done

--
Terry Jan Reedy