[Idle-dev] Running beginner Pythons

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 7 07:53:25 EST 2015

On 10/10/15 20:18, Terry Reedy wrote:

>> 1. Simple looping:
>> 2. Simple function call:
>> 3. Simple Native language keywords.

While I don't think these things belong in Idle (if
they even belong in Python)

> 4. Visible leading spaces (or even all spaces).  There is a unicode
> small middle dot char that is suitable for this.

This is a purely display item and definitely could be an IDLE
(or any other IDE) feature. It would even be useful for
posting code to mailing lists since HTML mail tools
constantly lose spaces in posts. This could help ensure
clear indentation in posts.

I'd certainly vote for this as a switchable feature in Idle.

PS. How would tab indents be handled? One mark or two? or
expand tabs to 'spaces'?

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site