[Idle-dev] Informal Reddit poll on IDLE usage

Al Sweigart al at inventwithpython.com
Sat May 30 02:51:18 CEST 2015

I posted a (very unscientific) poll about who uses IDLE to Reddit's
/r/python and /r/learnpython (a more beginner-oriented forum)
subreddits a while back. Here are their results:

Did you use IDLE when first learning Python or use it currently?

/r/reddit:
87 votes (36%) - Yes, I used IDLE when I started with Python or I use
it currently.
153 votes (64%) - No, I used a different editor when I was starting with Python.

/r/learnpython
99 votes (40%) - Yes, I used IDLE when I started with Python or I use
it currently.
146 votes (60%) - No, I used a different editor when I was starting with Python.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/36jhkn/poll_did_you_use_idle_when_first_learning_python/
https://www.reddit.com/r/learnpython/comments/36ilrf/did_you_use_idle_when_first_learning_python_or/

So the good news is that it looks like IDLE still has a very
significant market share of first time Python programmers using it.

-Al