[Idle-dev] IDLE in UK Schools

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Aug 5 11:55:10 CEST 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 4:43 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> As a user of Idle for several years, and not a beginner, I disagree with
> 'only'.  That aside, I consider it unnecessary and diversionary from the
> numerous known issues that will benefit *everyone*.

I was worried that you'd respond like this. *No* change to IDLE will
benefit *everyone*, for the simple reason that few people outside the
(non-higher) educational field use it. IDLE should not try to compete with
things like PyCharm, nor with the Emacs/Vim world (and I consider most
every text editor professional coders like to use these days on
Linux/Mac/Windows to be in that world, from Sublime Text to Atom). IDLE's
one redeeming feature is that it's bundled with Python, and this is a
benefit mostly for classrooms where Python is taught as the first
text-based programming language after e.g. Scratch.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)