[Idle-dev] IDLE problem in Manjaro Linux {Arch based}

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Sep 27 06:58:03 CEST 2014

On 9/15/2014 12:35 PM, glsmaxx wrote:
> I have Python 2.7 and 3.4 on my system out of the box.  I can type "python"
> from the command prompt and it changes to >>. I can enter basic commands and
> such. I also installed Pycharm but it really bogs the system down. Is there
> a simple IDLE that I can download and use? I have both an IDLE and Pycharm
> in Windows but I do not use Window very much and prefer to not have to break
> out my Windows laptop and rearrange everything just to use Python.   After
> much googling and searching on the web I have not found what I am looking
> for.

_tkinter, tkinter, idlelib, turtle, and turtledemo are part of the
stdlib and are included with the PSF installers for Windows and OSX.
They depend on the installation of tcl/tk, which is included with the
Windows installers.  However, some (many, most, all?) linux
distributions remove some or all of the above from their Python
distribution and include whatever they remove with their tcl/tk
distribution. I assume this must be true for Arch/Manjaro, so install
tcl/tk and you should get the missing pieces of Python.  For more help,
enquire on the support list for Manjaro.

--
Terry Jan Reedy