[Idle-dev] Non-buildbot human mediated tests

Saimadhav Heblikar saimadhavheblikar at gmail.com
Thu May 8 15:08:09 CEST 2014

Ned Deily wrote:
>> One simple example: on OS X ..
Thanks for this suggestion. I was unaware of differences in OSX
platform. I will keep this in mind when creating the human tests and
in future development.

>> I don't think it is meaningful to talk about GUI tests of IDLE without a thorough consideration of the Tk aspects.

As Terry Reedy mentions in his reply, these tests "test" whether
visual aspects appear as intended i.e. they provide a sanity check on
all the dialog windows.

>>It also might be interesting to find out howthe Tk project tests Tk and other Tk apps; perhaps something could be reused from there.

I will do this immediately. I will find out if/how it is automated.

-------------------------------

With respect to testing on different platforms, i currently have
access to Linux, a mac osx(10.5.8, which i expect to upgrade soon),
and a winxp.
If someone wants to help test on a specific os/platform, please let me know.

------------------------------
(From my initial post).

I will provide a quick summary of discussion over the past week.

>>We can also ask the tester to choose one of {Pass,Error etc}, which will also be printed to console.
In case there is an exception, it will be printed to console. The
tester will NOT be asked to pick one of {pass,fail/error} to avoid
complication.

>>1. How to pass information to htest?
All the information required to run the tests will be placed in a
single file, instead of being scattered across files - because 1. all
tests can be run together(if and when required) 2. consistency 3.
provides a clear picture of whats covered and whats not

>>possibility of ALL these tests being run together?
There should be a possibility to run all the tests together. While
automation would be good, in the worst case, a simple "click next"
should be present to iterate through all the tests. Result to be
displayed in a way similar to current unittests and with stats.

Saimadhav Heblikar