[Idle-dev] Meta-Key on Windows.

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jun 13 02:01:29 CEST 2014

Copying from email
On 6/12/2014 6:22 PM, Tal Einat wrote:> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:46
AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
 >> Q1. Do any of you know what 'Meta' is supposed to refer to on Windows?
 >> On my systems, it does not correspond to the Windows key, the (useless?)
 >> Page-with-Pointer key to the left of right Cntl, Escape, or the three
 >> PrtScrn/SyqReq, ScreenLock, or Pause/Break keys. Are these entries
of use to
 >> anyone?
 >
 > I don't know if Meta can be generated by a keyboard on Windows, and
 > have no use for those other modifier keys you mentioned. Some other
 > people might, however, so we shouldn't disallow using them without
 > good reason.

If a Meta-Key-x event can be generated Windows, the means should be
documented. If not, the Meta-Key-x bindings should be delelted from the
Windows definitions.

For Key-X, I would also allow all key names that Tk recognizes; they
should also be listed in the Basic Key Binding entry box. (The set/list
used to populate the box might as well be the same one used to validate
'advanced' entries.) I do not see of the keys above listed now. I don't
know if it is Tk or earlier Idle devs that limited the list to keys
found on all pretty much all modern systems.

--
Terry Jan Reedy