[Idle-dev] The Future of Python

Bruce Sherwood Bruce_Sherwood at ncsu.edu
Mon Feb 17 20:00:48 CET 2014

Thanks for pointing out iPython, which indeed has many good features.
GlowScript and VPython have a different goal, which is to make it quite
easy for nonexpert programmers, including novices, to write programs that
generate real-time navigable 3D animations as a side effect of
computations. One very large population (several tens of thousands per
semester) is students in an intro physics course who, despite no prior
programming experience, use the VPython module to be able to write short
Python programs that model physical systems and show 3D animations of these
systems. VPython is also used in several advanced computational physics
textbooks. GlowScript could also be an appropriate environment for these
students if the programming language could be Python rather than JavaScript
or CoffeeScript, which aren't very good languages for novice use.

Bruce