[Idle-dev] /me waves

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Mar 22 15:44:32 CET 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Katie Cunningham <katie.fulton at gmail.com>wrote:

> UX people help make apps more intuitive by thinking about a user is
> experiencing an application. What are their assumptions? What do they
> notice? How do they explore the application? How is information
> grouped in the interface?
>
> Some are also designers, but a fair number are also developers. I'm a
> version of a UX person (I do accessibility work), but I mostly sling
> code for a living. I've also known a few who only do UX.

I've worked with many such people during my career. Some are very good and
can make a huge difference for a product.

> "Up arrow moves cursor" has confused every Python developer I've put
> IDLE in front of. It might be time to rethinking including it, or at
> least letting us have options for the different behaviors. I would be
> much more likely to open IDLE if it mimicked my shell more.

I agree. I am probably to blame for the original behavior -- I am using the
shell in Emacs a lot, where up arrow does what it does in IDLE, and you use
Meta-P (I think, only my fingers know it :-) instead. But the shell
behavior in a regular terminal window is probably more familiar at this
point.

We constrain the Tk text widget in various ways, so if we can do this Id
say go for it.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)