[Idle-dev] I18n of IDLE's interface ?

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at telecom-sudparis.eu
Wed Apr 17 12:47:28 CEST 2013

Hi.

I've filed a wishlist at : http://bugs.python.org/issue17760 about the
potential need for translated UI elements in IDLE. In our case, french
would be an example language.

It was suggested to me to forward the request to this list.

I hope this is not a FAQ (although I'd be surprised to be the first to
raise this need), as I haven't checked the list archives.

I'm sure some may object in the line of
http://bugs.python.org/issue17760#msg187088 but I find it a bit odd to
force this on users... which are free to set their system's locale to
english if they *do* want to force Python beginners to learn english.

FYI, we for example have the oportunity to teach Python to all students
in some classes in France (CPGE), and although they may have also some
honest english curriculum too, I'd expect their computers to have some
french locales, and the discrepency may look a bit surprising to some
(whether or not these english strings only makes Python look more or
less "sexy" is to be determined ;-).

I haven't investigated how IDLE handles UI elements, but could volunteer
for helping on translations to french of any messages in .po or likes,
of course.

Looking forward to your opinions,

Best regards,
--