[Idle-dev] Feedback requested on issue 17609: IDLE: Remove config option 'editor on startup' and utilize command line options

Bruce Sherwood Bruce_Sherwood at ncsu.edu
Mon Apr 1 17:45:38 CEST 2013

Unless this is somehow tied solely to running IDLE from a terminal, for my
purposes this is a terrible idea. For the thousands of students in our
intro physics curriculum who use VIDLE (which I hope eventually can be
replaced by using an updated IDLE), it is extremely important that starting
IDLE (by clicking on an icon) display only an edit window at startup. By
all means provide as many options in the config file as you like, but don't
take away the capability of configuring IDLE on startup to display only an
edit window.

If the change you propose doesn't make it impossible to configure IDLE to
start with only an edit window, then I don't care.