[Idle-dev] Integrate pep8 into IDLE?

Monte Milanuk memilanuk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 21:49:22 CEST 2012

Terry Reedy <tjreedy <at> udel.edu> writes:

> If you mean 'enforce' pep8, that is out of the question.

No, of course not.  I realize that pep8 is meant as a style 'guide', not a
hard-n-fast rule... and that some other packages/frameworks (such as PyQt, for
example) do use various forms of camelCase.

> If you mean
> 'run a style checker' (as a new option of the run submene*) , I suspect
> there may already be an idle extension for that. If and when we get idle
> somewhat properly documented, that would include doc of the extension
> mechanism and perhaps suggestions of some good ones. Or we might include
> more that we do now.

That would be great.  Seems like there has been more interest/activity in
improving IDLE over the past year or two... hopefully some of the more visible
improvements/extensions will begin making it to the mainstream 'official'
version of IDLE at some point?