[Idle-dev] Problem with the French keyboard on IDLE 3.2.2

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jan 28 06:47:33 CET 2012

On 1/6/2012 1:46 AM, Jean-Paul Roy wrote:
> Hi ! I am starting an undergraduate course on Python 3.2.2 and I
> would like to use the IDLE IDE on Mac Lion, as IDLE is actually cool

Idle works least well on Macs

> for teaching. BUT I have problems with some dead keys, for example to
> get the tilde char, by the sequence "Alt-n<space>", the "Alt-n" moves
> the cursor on top of buffer instead of displaying the ~ char !

I am not sure what you mean by 'dead keys' or 'top of buffer'. I just
type the ~ key on my keyboard. On Windows and *nix, Alt-N is History:
Next. On Mac, History: Next is supposed to be Cntl-N (which on open new
window on Windows). On the IDLE Preferences dialog, Keys tab, there is a
button for Use a Built-in Key Set with 4 choices. Is one of the Mac sets
selected? What does CTRL-N do for you?

> french input method seems to be ignored which is strange in the
> Unicode times.

The transition is still in progress.

 > I looked without success in the Preferences/Key menu.
> Same for french circumflex e (ê) impossible to get with the keyboard,
> etc. IDLE is hardly usable with such behavior. It is strange that
> this bug seems to be known for months

Are you referring to an issue on the tracker? If so, which one?

> but no remedy comes from the Python community :-(

The 'community' consists of volunteers who work on issues they care
about. A solution is most likely to come from someone who uses French
keyboards, Idle, and the Mac. But if Idle does not work with a French
keyboard, that combination is unlikely.

Second best would be a French keyboard and Mac user who would like to
use IDLE and who would work with others to help make IDLE work better.

--
Terry Jan Reedy