[Idle-dev] Configuring IDLE for Python 3.2.2 on Ubuntu

Weeble clockworksaint at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 08:41:55 CEST 2011

How did you install Python and IDLE? On my 32-bit Ubuntu 11.04 VM, idle3
works for me, although it looks like I only have Python 3.2, possibly not
3.2.2. Some details you might compare to your own setup:

/usr/bin/idle3 is an executable script provided by the "idle3" package.

/usr/bin/idle3 specifies /usr/bin/python3 as its interpreter.

/usr/bin/python3 is a symlink to python3.2.

The "idle3" package requires the "python3" and "python3-tk" packages. If you
installed it with "sudo apt-get install idle3", they will have been
installed automatically.

The Python 3 packages I have are "python3", "python3-minimal", "python3-tk",
"python3.2", "python3.2-minimal", and "idle3".

As far as I can tell, IDLE uses sys.executable to determine the Python to
launch for its shell, and this will always be the Python that IDLE itself is
running in.