[Idle-dev] Talking of updates to IDLE

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Wed Apr 13 03:20:44 CEST 2011

In article <BANLkTinyoVcZ9nPHMKXZYMOac0YR6RbxUg at mail.gmail.com>,
 Bruce Sherwood <Bruce_Sherwood at ncsu.edu> wrote:
> As far as I know, no. It's a good example of the very slow pace of
> making changes. The VIDLE work was completed by Guilherme Polo in the
> 2009 Google Summer of Code, in a Python-community sanctioned project,
> and Guido has given his blessing to the changes, but the process for
> getting changes into the standard IDLE distribution remains opaque and
> glacial. I gather it isn't anyone's "fault", and people are busy, but
> somehow IDLE is an orphan in comparison with other aspects of Python.

It's not so much opaque as it is time-consuming and a fair amount of
work.  I promised to review them and get them in and I'm still intending
to do that.  I'm sorry it's taking this long.  For one thing, getting
the 3.2 release out the door turned got in the way.  The fixes
themselves need work to be upgraded to the latest releases and then
there is testing that needs to be done on all platforms.  If anyone is
willing to help out with the testing, especially experienced Windows
users of IDLE, it would be a great to have your help when ready.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org