[Idle-dev] [Python-Dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

Miki Tebeka miki.tebeka at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 03:51:04 CEST 2010

Hello Tal,

> I would like to propose removing IDLE from the standard library.
-1.
One of the biggest "selling points" for me when switching to python was the
"out of the box" working IDE with REPL, syntax highliting and a debugger.
The only other candidate I think of to replace IDLE might be IPython. However
for novice users who are not used to command line it might be too intimidating.

There are my others IDEs out there, some better some worse. However IMO
to have one bundled with Python is highly important.

> Cross-platform support has degraded with the increasing popularity of OSX and 64-bit
> platforms.
I use IDLE on Ubuntu 64bit and before that on OS X 64 bit, never had a
problem. Can you give
some examples on what do you mean by "cross-platform support"?

All the best,
--
Miki