[Idle-dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 17:20:55 CEST 2010

Kevin Walzer wrote:
> On 7/11/10 10:22 AM, Tal Einat wrote:
>>
>> Having IDLE in the stdlib may be
>> convenient for a few people, but most never use it and don't care
>> about it.
>
> This is not a compelling argument. I don't use sqlite or anydbm, but I'm not
> advocating for their removal from the standard library.

The (hopefully) compelling arguments were others, such as the sentence
following the one you quoted:

"I think that in its current state, IDLE may still be helpful for
learning Python, but it is more likely to drive away users who run
into its various quirks and problems."

The sentence you quoted was in response to those few who said that
they like having IDLE available out-of-the-box -- *that* is not a
compelling argument for leaving IDLE in the stdlib in its current
state.

- Tal Einat