[Idle-dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 11:38:11 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 11 Jul, 2010, at 10:57, Tal Einat wrote:
>>
>> When I ran into bugs I fixed them and submitted a patch. I have also
>> done so for quite a few bugs reported by others. However, there are
>> currently several bugs in the tracker which nobody is taking any
>> notice of. IIRC most of the recent bugs are related to OSX or 64-bit
>> Windows.
>
> The OSX issues al seem to be related to general Tk or Tkinter bugs
> on OSX. I know to little about Tk and Tkinter to seriously work on
> those.
>
> Ronald

Perhaps, but the point is that these bugs remain. Certainly this isn't
because just you, out of the entire Python development community, know
little about Tk and Tkinter.

Using Tkinter is a major reason that maintaining and further
developing IDLE is difficult. For example, it took me many hours just
to get a working Tkinter scrolled frame widget, having had to write it
from scratch and struggle with the under-documented Canvas widget.
Another example is that integration of the new ttk (a.k.a. Tile)
widget set, which supports native look&feel on various platforms and
adds modern widgets, has still not been integrated despite being
available in Tk for years and despite considerable effort being
invested into it.

- Tal Einat