[Idle-dev] IDLE GSoC Extension

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 23:59:48 CEST 2010

Hi Chas,

I'm very sorry for not having been able to respond sooner! (my home computer
died out ...)

Your project sounds really!

It sounds to me that you aren't just adding a feature to IDLE, but more
making a new application based on IDLE. I'm not sure your project should be
part of IDLE as distributed with Python, because it does something very
different than what IDLE does. I also think that by trying to implement this
as an extension you might unnecessarily limit yourself.

IMO, to start with put it online somewhere that people can download and play
around with and focus your efforts on getting it working and then getting
attention to it and people using it. Later, if it catches on we can think
about including this in some way with the Python distribution (either as
part of IDLE or as a separate application).

Good luck!

- Tal Einat