[Idle-dev] An IDLE extension for Google Summer of Code

Chas Leichner chaoslichen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 20:20:28 CEST 2010

Tal,

Although I think that Sikuli is an interesting project, it is still a
research prototype rather than a well developed project, like IDLE.
Programming with screenshots is a novel approach, but using a metafile would
allow a teacher easily and directly convert existing code to a tutorial or
lesson just by adding the appropriate tags. Using a commands to drive the
IDE would also allow the teacher to precisely dictate actions and tweak them
easily instead of having to re-record screenshots, like in Sikuli.

In addition, adding an extension to IDLE would make it accessible to anyone
with a basic Python install, because there is a version of IDLE easily
available on all platforms that Python is.

~Chas