[Idle-dev] Voting for patch in issue 989712: Support using Tk without a mainloop

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Tue Sep 22 06:07:59 CEST 2009

Hi all, this is my first time posting to the idle-dev list.

I created a patched version of IDLE to allow running Tkinter interactively
using the subprocess. Then I discovered the problem was already solved with
a patch submitted by Guilherme Polo about 6 months ago:

http://bugs.python.org/issue989712

http://bugs.python.org/file13440/issue989712.diff

Guilherme's patch is similar to mine. I would rather advocate for his patch
than try to promote mine.

This patch solves the long-standing problem of running Tkinter interactively
in IDLE without using the problematic "-n" switch. So I echo Guilherme's
question: is someone against this?

If not, then will it be part of IDLE in Python 2.7/3.1.x ?

Thanks,
David H

--
David Handy