[Idle-dev] Shift+HOME selects wrong text

Weeble clockworksaint at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 14:38:43 CET 2009

When I press shift and home, IDLE raises an exception and/or selects
the wrong text. For example, enter some text, then hold down shift and
use the cursor to select some of it and position the cursor in the
middle of a line. Then press shift+home. The problem seems to occur in
EditorWindow.py in home_callback. When it does this:
    first = self.text.index(dest)
    last = self.text.index("anchor")
There is no mark called "anchor". There appears instead to be one
called "tk::anchor.44486744.44486984.text", although I would guess
that the numbers are not fixed. If you press shift+home with no
selection, it will create a mark called "anchor", but all that means
is that the selection behaviour gets even stranger, since the home-key
handling is using "anchor" but the standard cursor actions are using
the weirdly named one.

I'm using: Python 2.6, Tk 8.5, IDLE 2.6
I'm running the 32-bit version on 64-bit Vista. I installed it from an
installer on the Python website.

When I get home I can test it on Ubuntu and see if I see the same thing.

I think perhaps this might have been introduced with the fix for this
bug: http://bugs.python.org/issue3851