[Idle-dev] Cofiguration on OSX

Mon Nov 17 19:46:44 CET 2008

Bruce Sherwood wrote:
> I'm puzzled by this, too. If you set up a shell script to drive
>
>     python ......idlelib/idle.pyw
>
> then you get all of IDLE's capabilities, including the options menu. It
> looks like someone went to a lot of trouble on the Mac to make a special
> "IDLE" app that is crippled.
I'm having trouble getting a full Python build from sources to work
on my OS/X Leopard box (Tkinter problems).  However, I've just installed
Python 2.6 using ActiveState's 2.6.  Using that, and the command line
"python -m idlelib.idle", I see both the "Options / Configure IDLE..."
and I see the new "Preferences...." entry under the title.

> However, there's more crippling, because with either kind of access to
> IDLE, there are serious mouse interaction problems, at least with Python
> 2.5. Click in some text, and the insertion point ends up somewhere else.
> Drag the scrollbar and it sticks and gets behind.
> There seem to be even bigger problems with Python 2.6.
I note that that terminal window has a lot of outputs like:
  RCNE SendEventToEventTarget (suom Moved                  ) failed, -50
And a few:
RCNE SendEventToEventTarget (suom 8                      ) failed, -9870
RCNE SendEventToEventTarget (suom 9                      ) failed, -9870

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org