[Idle-dev] IDLE bugs

Symion symion at primusonline.com.au
Sat Apr 12 12:20:34 CEST 2008

IDLE bugs:
I am running Windows XP Pro on a 1.6 Ghz AMD processor, with
Python Version 2.5.2,  Vpython Version 24.2 and IDLE 1.2.2

Have the following bugs been fixed in the latest IDLE incarnation?

Bug 1.
      Function keys F9 through F12 remain active While python script is
still running!

         F9  I don't know what this does! except introduce a delay
between input and response!

         F10 gives access to IDLE menu (when in IDLE window) but only
causes a loss of
         user input and the consumption of valuable Keys when python
script is running!

         F11 I can't figure out what this does! But it has the effect of
(occasionally)
         inserting a chr(8) character into input stream during python
keyboard input!

         F12 Do nothing! but can be reassigned with IDLE config.

Bug 2.
      When editing in IDLE, a critical loss of indentation format can be
recovered
      by the following method!

         ctrl+home     ## move to top of script
                             ## repeat the following 3 keystrokes

            end        ## jump to end of line
            delete     ## join lines
            enter      ## restore indentation

                       ## until the end of script

      Repeating this sequence for every line of code will restore the
indentation
      of your program...
      Well *almost*!
      Except for the *ELSE* & *ELIF* statements!
      When IDLE encounters these instructions it loses the plot
(indentation that is).
      It does not move to the correct level, thereby failing to restore
the correct
      program interpretation.
      This produces code with bad syntax:

Example:
    Start with no indentation.
    if
    if
    elif
    else
    elif
    Apply IDLE parser. (end,delete,enter)
    if
        if
        elif
        else
        elif
      Can not have *else* followed by *elif*
      Should be:
        if
            if
            elif
            else
        elif

      or
        if
            if
            else
            else
      Can not have *else* followed by *else*
      Should be:
        if
            if
            else
        else

      or
        if
            if
            else
            elif
      Should be:
        if
            if
            else
        elif

Bug 3.
      Similar to Bug 2, but involves function definition 'Def'.
      When reconstructing python files that have lost indentation,  the
following key sequences should restore the correct indentation.

         ctrl+home

         end
         delete
         enter

      When these 3 keystrokes are repeated for every line of code, the
program should be restored...
      But when a 'Def' instruction is encountered, the end of the
function carries over to the next line of code,
      so that an unwanted indentation is inserted.

Example:
    Start with no indentation.

         Def myfunction():
         return True

         Def otherfunction():
         Return False

    Apply IDLE's Parser (end,delete,enter)

         Def myfunction():
            return True

            Def otherfunction():
               Return False

      Should be:

         Def myfunction():
            return True

         Def otherfunction():
            Return False

Bug 4.
      When entering remarks behind hash marks, the use of the ')' character
      causes the bell to ring. As though a close bracket warning had
happened!
      This is a trivial thing but still...

Bug 5.
      This isn't really a bug, but it bugs me! So I'll include it here.
      I like using IDLE as a convenient text editor that has slick
tabulation, but...
      The right mouse key drops down a neat menu with breakpoint set unset!
      What I really need is cut, copy & paste! As well as breakpoint
control.
      That would be my wish list for IDLE.

If these bugs have been addressed then which Version should I download?

Symion
                2008:April:12:Saturday